Table of Contents
What is FSSAI Food License?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is an autonomous organization within the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Indian government. The Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006, which is a consolidating act pertaining to food safety and regulation in India, formed the FSSAI. It is an agency that oversees and regulates the Indian food industry. The FSSAI License is in charge of safeguarding and promoting public health by regulating and overseeing food safety.
Let’s see how we can apply for FSSAI License online.
Before launching a food company, you must get an FSSAI license or register with the FSSAI. All food-related businesses, including manufacturers, traders, restaurants, small eateries, grocery stores, importers, exporters, home-based food businesses, dairy farms, processors, retailers, and e-tailers, must obtain a 14-digit registration number or a Food license number, which must be printed on food packages or displayed in premises. This 14-digit FSSAI license number contains information on the producer’s permit or enrollment details, as well as the manufacturing state.
Who is Required to apply for FSSAI License Online?
The FBOs carrying on the following kinds of business are mandatorily required to obtain an FSSAI Registration/License:
- Petty retailers and retail shops such as Retail Shop, Snacks shop, Confectionery or Bakery Shop, etc.
- Temporary stalls or fixed stall or food premise involved in preparation, distribution, storage and sale of food products such as Gol gappa stall, chat stall, fruits/vegetables vendors, Tea Stall, snacks stall, Bread pakoda stall, Samosa stall, Chinese food stall, South Indian food stall, sweet stall, juice shops, etc.
- Hawkers who sell packaged or freshly prepared food by travelling (usually on foot or movable carts) from one location to other.
- Dairy Units including Milk Chilling Units, Petty Milkman and Milk Vendors.
- Vegetable Oil Processing Units.
- Slaughtering house such as meat shop, mutton shop, chicken shop, lamb meat, etc.
- Meat Processing and Fish Processing units.
- All Food Manufacturing/ Processing units that include Repacking of food.
- proprietary food and Novel food.
- Cold/refrigerated storage facility.
- Transporter of food products having a number of specialised vehicles like insulated refrigerated van/wagon, milk tankers, food wagons, food trucks, etc.
- Wholesaler, supplier, distributor and marketer of food products.
- Hotels, Restaurants and Bars.
- Canteens and Cafeteria including mid-day meal canteens.
- Food Vending Agencies and Caterer.
- Dhaba, PG providing food, Banquet halls with food catering arrangements, Home Based Canteens and Food stalls in fairs or religious institutions.
- Importers and Exporters of food items including food ingredients.
- E-Commerce food suppliers including cloud kitchens.
What are the types of FSSAI licenses?
- Basic FSSAI Registration: Petty food business entrepreneurs must get a Basic FSSAI Registration from the State Government, which is valid for one to five years.
- State FSSAI License: The state authority awards State FSSAI Licenses to small to medium-sized food company operators, which are valid for one to five years.
- Large food businesses with an annual revenue of more than 20 crores, 100% export units, importers, Central Government agency operators, airports, and seaports must get a Central Food License from the Central Government. It has a validity span of 1 to 5 years.
What is the Procedure for Obtaining FSSAI License Online?
- FBOs can apply for FSSAI registration online by completing either Form A (application for Registration) or Form B (application for State and Central License) on the FoSCoS site and submitting it. FBOs can also register by submitting Form A or Form B to the Department of Food and Safety.
- The relevant documentation must be submitted with the FSSAI registration form. The documentation must be uploaded to the FoSCos site during the application process or physically presented to the Food and Safety Department with the application.
- Within 7 days of receiving an application, either physically or electronically through the FoSCoS portal, the Department can approve or reject the FSSAI registration form. If the application is denied, the applicant must be notified in writing.
- The Department will scrutinise the documents submitted.
- The Department may conduct an inspection of the food premises, before granting the FSSAI registration certificate, if necessary.
- If the Department determines that the FBO fits all of the requirements, it will issue an FSSAI registration certificate that includes the registration number and a snapshot of the applicant’s email address. By connecting into the FoSCoS portal, the applicant can also get the FSSAI registration certificate.
- FBO should prominently display the certificate of FSSAI registration at the place of business during business hours.
Documents Required For Obtaining the FSSAI Registration/License
The following documents are required to obtain FSSAI basic registration, FSSAI state license, and FSSAI central license:
- Photo identity proof of the food business operators.
- Business constitution certificate, i.e. partnership deed, certificate of incorporation, shop and establishment licence or other business registration certificate.
- Proof of possession of business premises, i.e. rental agreement, NOC from the owner of the rented premises, utility bills etc.
- Food safety management system plan.
- List of food products manufactured or processed.
- Bank account information.
- Supporting documents (if required) like NOC by Municipality or Panchayat, Health NOC, copy of License from the manufacturer, etc.
Apart from the above-mentioned general documents, certain specific documents are required for obtaining the FSSAI state license and FSSAI central license.
Why should you have a FSSAI Food License?
- Obtaining a licence can bring legal benefits, develop goodwill, assure food safety, raise customer awareness, and aid in commercial expansion for a food business. It also aids in the regulation of import food manufacturing, storage, distribution, and sale. When an FBO is registered with the FSSAI, it is simple to raise funds from investors.
- The FSSAI logo on food goods assures that customers receive high-quality food. The FSSAI registration number placed on the food establishment indicates that the establishment meets the required cleanliness and quality requirements.