When someone buys a vehicle, they normally want to drive it in the city or state where they live. However, many people live in one state and want to purchase a vehicle from another state. Some people buy a vehicle in one state and then move to another state, requiring them to change the vehicle’s registration information. RC transfer of vehicle is necessary for any of the above-mentioned scenarios.
If you find yourself in any of these scenarios, let us assist you in determining how to transfer ownership of your vehicle!
Situations when Transfer of ownership of Vehicle is required:
Transferring the registration of your vehicle to a new owner is mandated by the law, be it within the state, or from one state to another.
There is a different process for different conditions of Vehicle transfer. Let’s discuss them in detail.
1. Transfer of ownership in case of a normal sale
When a vehicle is sold, the purchaser’s name is listed as the registered owner instead of the former owner’s name, and this is known as transfer of ownership.
2. Transfer of ownership on death of the owner of the vehicle
When a vehicle’s registered owner dies, the vehicle’s ownership is transferred to the deceased registered owner’s legal heirs. When the owner of a motor vehicle dies, the person who succeeds in possession of the vehicle may use the vehicle as if it had been transferred to him for a period of three months if the person notifies the registering authority of the death of the owner and his own intention to use the vehicle within thirty days of the owner’s death.
3. Transfer of ownership of vehicle purchased in a public auction
When a vehicle is sold at a public auction, the purchaser’s name is entered as the registered owner in lieu of the previous registered owner, a procedure known as auction transfer of ownership.
RC Transfer of Vehicle in Same State
Regardless of the circumstances behind the transfer of vehicle ownership, numerous documents are necessary as part of the RC transfer process. It’s critical that you take careful notes on the following stages for transferring a vehicle RC, as well as the list of paperwork because different steps of this transfer have distinct document needs.
Documents Required for RC Transfer of Vehicle within the same State
a) For Agreement of the Sale of Vehicle from the Notary
Two forms are usually necessary for automobile sales. Forms 29 and 30 are the ones in question. You must submit two copies of Form 29 and only one copy of Form 30 to your local RTO.
In addition, the documentation specified below must be completed in order to finalize an RC transfer of Vehicle.
Documents that Need to be Submitted from the Owner-
- Original RC.
- Insurance policy (you should check the validity of the policy).
- Letter for Clearance Certificate.
- Copy of PUC (Pollution under Control Certificate).
- Road tax-related documents from the relevant RTO.
- Copy of relevant delivery note of the vehicle.
- Owner’s manual of the vehicle which is being sold.
- All warranty-related documents.
- Service history.
- Copy of the original invoice of the concerned vehicle.
Documents required by the Buyer(to whom the RC is transferred):
- Signed sales agreement.
- Your KYC documents along with address proof.
- Demand Draft copy or cheque.
b) For Clearance Certificate (CC) Application:
When filing for the CC of a vehicle, the new buyer must produce the following documentation to the RTO where his or her vehicle is to be registered.
- Request letter for CC.
- Original RC.
- Copy of the original insurance documents. Buyers should check to ensure that they are valid.
- Copy of PUC.
c) Documents for Ownership Transfer of Vehicle
To finalize the transfer of vehicle registration, buyers must produce the following documentation to their local RTO.
- 2 copies of Form 29.
- Notice of ownership transfer.
- Original RC.
- Copy of valid car insurance policy.
- Copy of PUC.
- Address proof.
- Copy of PAN card.
- Original Clearance Certificate.
- 1 copy of a passport-sized photograph.
RC Transfer of Vehicle Inter-State
Even if the procedure for transferring the RC of the vehicle from one state to another is not as complicated as transferring ownership, it still necessitates the submission of a number of documents. The required documents, and the procedure, are explained below.
Although the essential standards are consistent across states, the fees vary per state or union territory. It is critical to comprehend this technique, which consists of several steps and is comparable in every RTO in India.
Documents Required for Inter-State Vehicle RC Transfer
There are several types of paperwork required for vehicle registration transfer across state lines because of the multiple stages involved in transferring RC. The numerous sets of paperwork that are necessary are outlined below, assuming there are no current financial responsibilities.
You must first obtain a NOC from your current RTO, then submit an application to the new RTO where you will be relocating your vehicle. You should also apply for a road tax refund because you will have to pay these taxes again during the re-registration process.
Documents Required for NOC from RTO:
You must produce the following documentation when obtaining a NOC from your old RTO where your vehicle is registered.
- Existing registration certificate, insurance policy documents, tax documents, and PUC.
- Original chassis imprint.
- An optional document is NOC from the local police station. Even though this is not a mandatory document, it can speed up this process of transfer.
Documents Required to Re-Register in New RTO:
Next, whether you’re doing an online or offline car registration transfer, you’ll need to gather the paperwork mentioned below.
- Copy of original RC.
- Copy of insurance policy of your vehicle.
- NOC received from your old RTO.
- Form 29 and 30 for re-registration.
- PUC certificate.
- Photo identity proof and local address proof.
Documents which are Necessary to File for a Refund of Road Taxes:
This is an important step to take because it can save you a lot of money when transferring a vehicle’s registration across state lines.
- Application for refund of road tax.
- Self-attested RTO Form 16.
- Copy of new RC (new registration number is vital).
- Copy of old RC (old registration number is also necessary so that the RTO can check past payment of road tax).
- Insurance policy documents and certificate with the new registration number.
- Photo identity proof and address details.
What If You moved to a new state Without Transferring the RC of your Vehicle
If you’ve already moved to a new state without completing the proper paperwork, you’ll need to go through a separate procedure.
- NOC taken but not transferred
If you received the NOC but were unable to transfer your car to the new state, you must visit the RTO and get your NOC annulled. This can be accomplished by paying a small fee to the RTO to have the NOC canceled.
- Road tax not submitted
If you acquired a NOC from an earlier RTO and have been driving in the new state without paying the new RTO’s road tax, you will be required to file a Non-migration certificate and pay a penalty.
- Selling your vehicle in the new state
If you want to sell a car that is registered in another state, you must submit the NOC along with the road tax receipt to the new state RTO. If any of the above is missing, you won’t be able to sell your car in the new state. Following that, the process is quite similar to selling a regular car, and all of the documentation required to sell a car is likewise the same.
Online Process of RC Transfer of Vehicle
- Apply for RC Transfer on eSahayak by clicking on the Generate now button.
- Here you can select the condition of RC transfer and just have to fill the respective forms for that condition and no extra work.
- Fill in the questionnaire and get your RC Transfer file ready
- Get the list of all the documents you have to take with you
- Visit the nearest RTO, verify your documents and it’s done
- The RC will be transferred to the new owner in 30 working days!
If you follow the appropriate requirements, transferring Vehicle ownership can be a painless process. Whether you’re the buyer or the seller, you should make sure you have copies of any necessary paperwork on hand for future reference. Always Transfer the ownership of the vehicle along with the Insurance.
Let’s have a hassle-free RC Transfer of Vehicle with eSahayak!