A marriage certificate is a legal document that certifies that two persons have married. However, it has a number of advantages that can make your life easier from a legal standpoint. Here’s how to register your marriage in Punjab. Having a wedding registration certificate will help the couple with various formalities like PAN card name change, passport, and visa application. The respective State Governments control the registration of marriages. A wedding registration certificate is often applied for and obtained through the Sub-Registrar office of the government. During this article, we glance at the procedure for obtaining a wedding registration certificate in Punjab State.
Marriage certificate registration is necessary for all married couples. It is required by the Punjab government for all citizens residing in the state of Punjab, regardless of religion, caste, or creed. Couples are also unable to participate in any government programs without a marriage certificate provided by the Punjab State Administration. Couples of the Sikh religion, on the other hand, can obtain a marriage certificate from a Gurdwara.
Required Documents for Marriage Certificate in Punjab:
- Application form (Click here and get your pre-filled application form)
- Address proof of current residing address which should be on Bride or Grooms Name (Proof of Address- Voter ID/ *Ration Card/ Passport, Driving License ).
- 2 passport-sized photographs.
- Identity proof
- 2 Photos of Bride and Groom in marriage dress taken during marriage ritual to clearly show they are taking part in the marriage ceremony.
- Separate Marriage Affidavits in prescribed format from Husband & Wife.
- Proof of Date of Birth of both husband and wife (Documents which serve as Proof of Age preferably 10th class mark sheet with date of birth).
- Aadhaar Card
- Marriage Invitation Card
- Three witnesses to certify your marriage.
- 2 affidavits that a couple wishes to marry each other willingly free from threats are required for marriage at a later stage.
- Divorce Decree in case of Divorce
- Death Certificate of a spouse, in case of widow/widower
Note: All the above-mentioned documents should be attested by a Gazetted Officer
Marriage Certificate Registration Procedure in Punjab:
- The husband or wife must apply for marriage registration with the registrar in whose jurisdiction they reside.
- Fill up the application form and have both husband and wife sign it. As directed, submit it to the receiving authority with all relevant documentation and fees. (Click here and get your pre-filled application form)
- After verification, the application will be entered into the registry. The receipt for the application will be given to the applicant.
- The applicant will be required to appear at the office on a specific day to finish the registration process.
- Both parties, as well as a Gazetted Officer who attended their wedding, must appear before the registrar on that day.
- Please follow the authorities’ instructions for completing the registration processes.
- To endorse their marriage, the applicant and witness will be requested to sign on the registry.
- The Certificate for the already solemnized marriage will be issued on the same day.
- If an application for the issuance of a certificate is made in advance (prior to the wedding), authorities will wait thirty days to see if there are any objections from the public, after which the process will be carried out on the wedding day by a designated authority and the certificate will be issued as appropriate.
- In order to register a marriage, the applicants must produce proof of a wedding that was solemnized someplace else and which the groom and bride now wish to officially register.
- At the time of registration, everyone involved in the process must have originals of their identification and proof of address.
Marriage Certificate Benefits:
- Provides crucial evidence of marriage when applying for a passport or creating a bank account with a new surname after the wedding.
- It ensures social security.
- Boosts self-esteem, especially among married women
- Helpful in obtaining a visa for the wife or husband.
- If the depositor or the insurer dies without a will, it will be easier to claim the bank deposits or life insurance payouts.