A marriage certificate is an official statement issued by a government official once the marriage has been registered. In India, a marriage can be registered under one of two acts:
- The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 – For when both the husband and wife are Hindus, Sikhs, Buddhists, Jains or have converted to any of these religions.
- The Special Marriage Act, 1954 – For any religion, inter-religious marriages and for Indian nationals living abroad.
Eligibility Criteria for Obtaining a Marriage Certificate Haryana
- The bride and groom must be not under 18 and 21 years old, separately.
- At the time of enrollment of marriage, there should not be more than one life partner of any of the individuals.
- The bride and groom must have lived for at least one month in the location where marriage is to be enrolled.
What Documents are Required for Obtaining a Marriage Certificate Haryana?
- Application for Registration of Marriage under the Haryana Compulsory Registration of Marriages Act, 2008
- Five joint photos of Bride and Groom without wedding outfit of size 3″ x 2″
- Proof of marriage (any one of the following)
- Two wedding photos
- Certificate from Religious institution or Priest solemnized the wedding.
- Nikah Nama
- Certificate from Gurudwara
- Age Proof (any one of the following)
- Birth Certificate
- School Certificate (5th, 8th, 10th Class)
- Driving License
- In case the documents listed above are not available, a self affidavit with a medical certificate may be furnished indicating age.
- Proof of residence of both spouses (any one of the following)
- Driving License
- Ration Card
- Voter ID Card
- BPL Card
- Domicile Certificate
- A fees of:
- Rs. 150/- for submission of application for Marriage Registration within 90 days,
- Rs. 250/- between 90 days to 365 days (One Year)
- Rs. 300/- after one year of the marriage.
- Self-declaration to be furnished by Two witnesses (One each from Bride and Bride Groom) with Permanent Address and ID Proof.
- An affidavit attested by Notary Public or Magistrate justifying the cause for delay of registration for marriage within 90 days.
- In case of marriage of any Indian Citizen solemnized in India with a person of foreign domicile, the verification regarding domicile of that country from the Embassy is to be given.
Where to Submit Your Marriage Application in Haryana?
The application can be submitted in the office of Registrar of Marriages-cum-Joint Commissioner, Municipal Corporation in whose jurisdiction marriage took place or where one of the bride/her parents or bridegroom/his parents ordinarily resides within jurisdictions at the time of marriage. This can be submitted on any working day.
- The Marriage Registration Certificate will be issued by the Registrar of Marriages within 7 working days.
- In case of application after 90 days but before 365 days of solemnization of marriage, the Marriage Registration Certificate will be issued within 21 working days.