What is an Income Certificate?
An Income Certificate is a document issued by a state government certifying the annual income of a person or their family from all sources. The process to obtain an income certificate varies from state to state. It is usually the Village Tahsildars (e.g. Uttar Pradesh) that issue the certificate but many states and union territories also have District Magistrate / Collector, Revenue Circle Officers, Sub Divisional Magistrates or other District Authorities appointed for this purpose. In certain parts of the country, this certificate is also termed as ‘EWS certificate’ which stands for ‘Economically Weaker Section Certificate’.
How to get an Income Certificate in Uttar Pradesh?
- Fill the Income Certificate Application Form by clicking Generate Now button on eSahayak.
- Print the application and attach the relevant documents as mentioned below.
- Submit it at nearest Tahsildar Office.
- The applicant will get the certificate in 7 to 10 days after due verification.
Validity of Income Certificate
- The validity of the income certificate is based on the financial year mentioned in the document.
- The certificate needs to be updated every financial year to ensure validity.
- The old certificate may need to be provided as a key documentary proof required for the issue of an updated income certificate.
Benefits of an Income Certificate
- Concessional or free medical benefits, like subsidized medicines, treatments, and more
- Concessional interest on loans through government entities
- Relief to victims of natural disasters and calamities
- Windows to claim government pension (if applicable)
- Entitlement to flats, hostels, and other government accommodation
- To get economic assistance and scholarships for economically backward students.
- For using various government-sponsored welfare schemes.
- To obtain key benefits such as old-age pension from the government.
- Educational institutions that usually have a quota reserved for people from economically poorer backgrounds. This certificate helps them secure admission either free of cost or at a concession.
- Scholarships offered by some institutions/governments targeting the upliftment of the poor
- Obtaining loans from the respective government employers at a concessional rate of interest.
Documents Required to get an Income Certificate in UP
- Identity Proof – Aadhaar Card, Voter ID Card, Driving License, PAN Card, Passport, RSBY Card, MGNREGA Job Card, Identity card issued by government or semi-government organizations (choose anyone)
- Address Proof – Voter’s ID Card, Passport, PAN Card, Aadhaar Card, Driving License, Ration Card, Land Allotment, Passbook, Electricity bill, Water bill (choose anyone)
- Income tax return statement or Salary slip
- Certificate from BDO (for rural areas)
- Certificate from concerned authorities for persons having income from agriculture, horticulture and veterinary sources
- Age Proof – Birth Certificate, Bona fide Certificate, School Leaving Certificate (anyone)
Who can get an income certificate?
Any individual who has a source of income and is a resident of Uttar Pradesh is eligible for an income certificate.
Who processes the income certificate application in Uttar Pradesh?
In Uttar Pradesh the Office of tehsildar processes the income certificate application.
How long does it take to get an income certificate in Uttar Pradesh?
It takes 7 to 10 days after the due verification at the Tehsildar Office to get an income certificate in Uttar Pradesh
How long is my income certificate valid?
Any income certificate issued in the state of Uttar Pradesh is valid for only that financial year.
Is income and EWS certificate the same?
Yes, an income certificate of less then INR 8 lakhs is same as an EWS Certificate. Note that along with income certificate you will also need to prove that you do not belong to any of the other reserved categories, namely SC/ST/OBC.
Can I use an income Certificate for getting EWS reservation?
Yes, you can use an income certificate to get EWS reservation but the annual income should be less than INR 8 Lakhs. (Read previous question)