What is a Caste Certificate?
Caste Certificate is a government issued document that act as a proof of one’s belonging to a particular caste. A caste certificate is an important document for individuals that belong to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST) or Other Backward Castes (OBC) as defined in the Hon’ble Constitution of India. A caste certificate acts as an evidence for proving an individual’s candidature as and when required when it comes to the privileges and schemes offered by the Government of India.
Process for applying a caste certificate in UP
- After filling the Uttar Pradesh Caste Certifiate Form on eSahayak, take a printout of the generated PDF.
- Attach a self attested photocopy of all the relevant documents.
- Go to your neared Tehsildar or SDM Office and submit your application.
- Once Verified you can collect your application in 10-12 days from the same office.
Benefits of a Caste Certificate
- Caste Certificate needs to be provided to obtain reservation of seats in the Legislatures
- To get a reservation in Government Service, caste certificate is mandatory
- Relinquishing off a part or the whole of the fees for admission to college and school
- For getting quotas in educational institutions
- To avail upper age relaxation limits for applying to certain Government jobs
- Maximum Number of attempts for a particular government exam
- Caste Certificate has to be produced to apply for scholarships
- To obtain Government subsidies, caste certificate is needed
- For registering schemes provided by Governments
- For getting low interest education loans
Who is eligible for a caste certificate in Uttar Pradesh?
- Only residents of Uttar Pradesh can apply for this certificate.
- Any person belonging to the caste or class listed in Schedule-1 of the Uttar Pradesh Public Services can apply for caste certificate.
Documents required to get a caste certificate in UP
Attach a self-attested photocopy of the document proofs listed below.
1. Identity Proof (Choose anyone)
- Aadhaar Card
- Driving License
- Voter ID
- PAN Card
- RSBY (Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana) Card
- MNREGA Card
2. Address Proof (Choose anyone)
- Aadhaar Card
- Driving License
- Voter ID
- Electricity Bill
- Water Bill
- Telephone Bill
- Ration Card
3. Affidavit for Caste Certificate
4. Proof of Caste of self or blood relative
- Extract of Primary School Register of applicant or father or grandfather
- Primary School Leaving Certificate of applicant or father or relative
- An extract of Government Service Record (Book) mentioning caste/community category of applicant’s father or relative
- Document certifying caste issued by department of social justice
- Certificate (if any) of father or relative which is issued by scrutiny committee
- Copy of revenue records of village panchayat record
- Documentary evidence in regard to the caste and ordinary place of residence prior to the date of notification of the caste
- Other relevant proof issued by a competent authority
5. Special Proofs for getting your caste certificate in Uttar Pradesh
There are a few special cases where you need to submit additional proof of document. Here is a list of all such special cases:
- Don’t have father’s caste certificate: In this case you need to submit all the caste certificate documents of your blood relative.
- Married Woman: If you are applying for a caste certificate after your marriage, then you need to submit the caste proof before marriage and the marriage certificate. In case you changed your name after marriage then provide Name Change Notification in Gazette.
- Religion Conversion: If you have converted your religion then you need a proof of caste before conversion
- Migration from other state or district: If you have migrated from other state or district, then you need to provide father’s caste proof issued by a state or district from which you have migrated.
6.Certificate regarding caste of Councillor/Warden/Village Head
7. Passport Size Photographs of the applicant (It is always advised to carry a sufficient number of photographs)
8. Income Certificate (You can generate your Income Certificate application from eSahayak by clicking on Generate Now below)
Generate your Income Certificate
Frequently Asked Questions
For how long a Caste Certificate is valid?
A caste certificate once issued is valid for lifetime. (It can be declared null and avoid under certain special circumstances as per the Indian Law)
In how many days will I get my caste certificate after submitting complete application in the Tehsildar/SDM office?
The Caste certificate is generally issued in 10-12 days after a successful form submission.