A driving license is nothing but a permit by the government to drive a motorized vehicle in the country. According to Motor Vehicles Act 1988, no Individual is allowed to drive a motor vehicle in a public place without a valid driving license, so it’s mandatory for you to apply for a driving license in India if you wish to drive your vehicle.
Driving Licence in India is issued by the Regional Transport Authority (RTA) or Regional Transport Office (RTO) of that particular state.
How to Apply for Driving License in India
So if you are not sure about how to apply for a driving license in your city, this section is for you. Depending on the type of vehicle you are using, you can apply for a Driving License, However, the eligibility requirements for different vehicle types may vary.
These are the steps to be followed while applying for a Driving License in India-
- For applying for a driving license you have to visit the RTO of your area and get a physical motor driving license application form. Or else, for saving time you can download your Driving License Application Form, from Crove. In Crove you just have to fill in the questionnaire, and your form is ready with all the details filled and ready to be submitted. Fill your Driving License Application Form Now, with Crove!
- After the form is done, attach the list of documents mentioned and your passport size photographs along with it.
- Now you have to submit the form to the officer-in-charge at the RTO.
- Now book a time slot according to your availability for your driving test and pay the related fees.
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving License in India
For avoiding delay and confusion in applying driving license here’s a list of documents that you will be required to submit, at the RTO office while applying for the driving license-
- Application form
- Physical fitness declaration
- Application for grant of Driving License
- Copy of your Learner’s License
- Medical certificate form issued by a certified Government doctor
- 1 passport-sized photograph
- Age proof (birth certificate, PAN card, school certificate, passport)
- Address proof (Utility bills, payslips, bank passbook, ration card, voter ID, passport, life insurance policy)
- If you are staying in other cities, as current address proof, you can present the rental agreement with one recent utility bill copy which can be a gas bill or electric bill.
- Aadhaar card
If you are a Foreign Resident you also need the following documents along with the above-mentioned list-
- Passport copy
- Visa copy
- Citizenship proof
- Resident permit proof
- Medical certificate from the native country
- Physically challenged certificate
- Diplomat proof
- Learner’s license copy
Once the RTO officer verifies your documents, you can make your payment and book a test slot.
Test Procedure For Driving License in India
The tests for driving license depend on the type of vehicle you are applying the license for. For Example, the test for a heavy vehicle is more challenging than for a light motor vehicle and is taken on specifically designed tracks only.
The Driving License exam involves two parts- Written and Practical. The written test is for checking your knowledge of road signs, rules, and safety, while the practical exam test is for checking your competency behind the wheel.
If you pass, you will receive the driving license in the estimated time at your residence address. If you fail, you will have to reappear for an exam after 7 days.
When you pass the test and your application is approved, and you are allotted a driving license.
The RTO will deliver your driving license to your registered address.
If you already have a Driving License that is soon to be expired Check How to Renew Driving License in India and get it done before it expires.