A birth certificate is a permanent and official record of a child’s existence. Without the birth certificate, a person can be denied the right to an official identity, a recognized name, and nationality. It is mandatory to register every Birth as per the Registration of Birth Act, 1969.
Let’s have a look at the detailed procedure of applying for a birth certificate in Chandigarh-
Where to apply for a Birth Certificate in Chandigarh-
A Birth Certificate is issued by the Municipal Corporation/Municipal Council in urban areas whereas a birth certificate is issued by Tehsildar at the Taluka and in the village, it is issued by the Gram Panchayat Office.
The Chief Registrar and the District Registrar in Chandigarh are responsible for issuing the birth certificate
- As per this Birth Registration Act, it is mandatory to record the birth of the person in Chandigarh with the authority, within 21 days of birth. If the registration is delayed after 21 days, an affidavit stating the reason for the delay is required along with other documents.
- If the child is born in a foreign country, and the family has moved to India to settle, the birth registration can be done within 60 days which will be treated the same as the registration occurring within 21 days.
Who can register for the Birth Certificate?
Depending on the place of birth, the following authorities can register for the birth certificate in Chandigarh-
- If the Birth has occurred in a Hospital– Any medically authorized individual can register for the birth certificate.
- If the Birth occurred in a House– In this case, the head of the household can register for the birth certificate.
- If the Birth occurred in a Public place– The officer in charge of the local area/police station can register for the birth certificate.
What are the documents required to register for a Birth Certificate?
For avoiding delay and confusion in applying for a birth certificate in time here’s a list of documents that you will be required to submit along with the birth certificate application form-
- Marriage certificate of the parents
- Proof of birth letter in the hospital to identify the location of birth.
- Identity proof of Parents.
- Residency proof of that location.
Step-by-Step guide of applying for a Birth certificate in Chandigarh-
- First of all, you have to go to the municipal corporation office of Chandigarh to get the birth certificate registration form.
Or else, for saving time you can download the Birth Certificate Application Form, from eSahayak.
In eSahayak, you just have to fill in the questionnaire, and your Birth Certificate application form is ready with all the details filled and ready to be submitted.
Fill the Birth Certificate Application Form Now! with eSahayak!
- Now along with the application form you have to submit the letter that was given by the hospital at the time of birth by the medical in charge, in 21 days of birth to the municipal corporation office of Chandigarh.
- Post that, the office will verify details such as place and time of birth, parent’s name, gender, address, nursing home/hospital, etc.
- If the verification is all in place, you will get the birth certificate sent to your address after 7-15 days.
- In case of any corrections in the birth certificate, you are required to submit a separate application form for obtaining the modified birth certificate in the concerned department in Chandigarh.
- If the birth certificate registration does not take place in 21 days, You have to submit an affidavit along with other documents and a police verification takes place in order to issue the birth certificate.
It takes way longer than usual so it is advised to apply for a birth certificate in Chandigarh within 21 days of birth.
Generate Birth Certificate Application
Why is a Birth Certificate Important?
A birth Certificate is the First Right of the child and it establishes their identity as a legal resident of the country. A birth certificate is important for a number of reasons-
- A birth certificate is required for proving parentage.
- Admission in Schools and Colleges
- Age proof for employment, Marriage, enrolling in Electoral Rolls
- Registering in NPR (National Population Register)
- Application for a passport, Driving license, etc.
- A birth certificate is required to claim insurance benefits.
- A birth certificate is essential for the settlement of inheritance and property rights.
Anyone without a birth certificate is not identified as an Indian citizen and so is not be eligible to claim basic citizen rights.
So, always register a child’s birth around you and get the birth certificate as soon as possible after the birth!